Denver March for Science is dedicated to keeping our environment clean and green. Join us in our commitment to ensuring a sustainable future for the City of Denver, our events, and the planet.
Learn more about Denver’s Certifiably Green Program criteria.
Tips to Go Green Everyday
- Switch to a reusable water bottle. Americans use roughly 50 billion plastic water bottles a year and nearly 80% of them end up in the landfill. One of the easiest ways to cut down on plastic waste is by using a reusable water bottle.
- Exchange your plastic Tupperware for glass storage containers.
- Bring reusable grocery bags with you to go shopping, and drop off any plastic bags you do have at the recycling centers found inside most grocery stores.
- Trade plastic wrap for beeswax wraps! Beeswax wraps keep food fresh, are biodegradable, and can be a fun DIY project at home!
- Precycle! Consider the amount of packaging before you make a purchase. For example, a cheese block cut into individual sticks at home will result in less plastic waste than purchasing individually wrapped cheese sticks from the store.
- Create a compost bin for food waste at home.
- Take the time to remove yourself from junk mail lists.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth to reduce water waste.
- Shop locally for groceries! Locally sourced groceries have a shorter distance to travel, reducing emissions.
- Wash your clothes in cold water.
- Properly recycle electronic waste at local recycling centers.
- Only take promotional items that you will use/read.
- Turn off all lights and unused electric appliances before leaving the house, including your heater.
- Bike to commute, or join a rideshare service to reduce emissions! Here are some services:
Denver Metro Area
Way to Go: 303-455-1000
North Front Range
- Encourage your workplace to start a reward program for biking to work to help reduce emissions.
- Become carbon neutral by calculating your carbon footprint and taking steps to reduce and offset your carbon footprint.
- Contact your local landfill and recycling center to find out how the facility prefers you to sort your waste.
- Put down your energy consuming electronics and enjoy the world around you!
- Practice Leave No Trace ethics.
- Be respectful of wildlife and others. Do not feed your food scraps to wildlife. Keep it wild, and prevent food waste from entering the environment.
- Consider going paperless – almost all correspondences can be electronic nowadays!
- Encourage your workplace to become certifiably green. Find out how.